Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Quick garden update...

Well, it's surely summer here. I know that because I yanked out my last remaining collards last week (whiteflies!) and my sweet potatoes are running rampant. Let's see... 'Cucino' cukes are (surprisingly) still producing, though they're suffering greatly from some fungal issue, probably anthracnose. I'm getting only one or two a day, but enough to keep the girl-child happy and to make a batch of gazpacho from time to time. My cuccuzi is still growing wildly, but it's taken a breather from producing fruits. 'Fastbreak' cantaloupe is still consistently setting a fruit every time I pick one--it's in a pot, on a trellis, and seems capable of supporting only one fruit at a time. That said, it's very healthy with almost no trace of disease, so maybe it will produce all summer. Beans (Macaslan and Rattlesnake) are producing fitfully, which is pretty typical for this time of the year. Sometimes I'll go and pick a half-gallon of beans, sometimes just a handful. Willow-leaf limas from Southern Exposure are putting out a tremendous amount of pods--I'm looking forwrd to harvesting them all summer. Pretty plant, no signs of disease. Emerald blueberry has put out tons of growth--the others a bit less. Citrus crop looks to be excellent. I'll get two mangoes from my tiny Cogshill. Grapes look great--tons of fruit, and the promise of even more next year. Peppers are healthy and happy, just not setting that much fruit. Cassava is growing like a weed (and it looks like weed!). Eggplants are kicking into production, as are my okra. Aside from a disappointing tomato season (still no idea why), the garden is growing well...

No comments: