Thursday, June 28, 2012

High-summer dudgeon...




Harvested the rest of the onions that I started from seed back in August. About forty in all from 10 feet of row, double-cropped. They took six months, but they weren't any trouble.

Debbie sure did a number to my poor persimmon tree-I lost about half the fruit. Typical response for a juvenile tree.

On the plus side, a bumper crop of grapes!

Tomatoes are all but done, though I've managed to harvest a few handfuls every day...Aside from herbs in pots, hot peppers, and sweet potatoes vines... nothing much going on in the garden.

2 comments:

JWO said...

Harvested the rest of the onions that I started from seed back in August

I have had trouble getting onion seeds to germinate, do you have any tips?

Michael said...

jim, i had close to 100% germination. i started them in august, in well-drained medium, in a flat (probably the bottom of a gallon milk jug). i used desert sunrise from johnnys. in theory, any SHORT DAY onion should work. i found they transplanted well.