Wednesday, March 03, 2010

A quick update in pictures...

The cold winter's made it ideal for growing broccoli and greens, but not much else...



FlordaPrince Peach blooms... I think I overpruned the tree this winter. Last year I spent several hours culling peaches, so this year I decided to prune out everything that wasn't 1) reaching distance and 2) thick enough to support a peach. We'll see if this was a mistake. My hope is that I get a good crop of large, sweet peaches with less hassle. Since this tree sits to the east of my main garden bed I plan to keep it very small (eight feet tall, no taller), it will shade out some of the prime areas in my plot. And as Dave always says, it's easier to keep a small tree small than to make a big tree small.
Blueberries look great this year.



Calendula from saved seed. I'm always fascinated by how variable the progeny are. This year I have red and yellow singles, dense doubles in orange and yellow.

4 comments:

size123 said...

I don't think my peach trees have ever had so many flowers, maybe one of the few upsides of this winter.

Homesteading Mommy said...

my peach trees have yet to show any signs of coming out of dormancy! what's up???

Michael said...

one of mine hasn't yet broken dormancy, either--it's quite young, second year in the ground. Scratch yours--if the wood is still green, it's just sleeping a bit later this year, with all the cold weather.

Danielles Garden said...

I agree with the friend...it's much easier to keep a small tree small. Down here in zone 9b, I prune