Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hot weather garden

I think I have a pretty good idea of what my summer garden will look like:

  • Eggplants: one plain-Jane variety "Black Beauty" that I got at Lowes, the other "Little Fingers" from seed, courtesy of Tomato Grower Supply
  • Quailgrass from ECHO (sowed and growing nicely)
  • Edible Amaranth: Currently being devoured by flea beatles -- I need to re-sow
  • New Zealand Spinach: I'm starting these tomorrow -- also courtesy of ECHO
  • Sweet Potatoes: I'm ordering slips of a bunching variety "Porto Rico" from Steele Plant Company tomorrow
  • Rattlesnake BEAN, SNAP (POLE): from Southern Exposure Seeds -- I just ordered these
  • Mississippi Silver PEA, SOUTHERN: these grow in acidic soil, so I'm going to interplant them with the blueberries that are now flourishing at the border of my bed. Also from Southern Exposure.
  • Okra (from Southern Exposure): BURMESE: 58 days. Burmese okra bears when plants are 18” tall and continues to bear until frost. The leaves are huge, typically 16” across. The slightly curved, virtually spineless pods range from 9 to 12” long. Pods mature from light green to creamy yellow-green. At 10” inches long, they are tender, sweet, and spineless enough to be eaten raw or added to salads. Pods are less gooey than other okra, a quality that gives this variety a greater
    appeal. (I am a big proponent of less goo...)
  • Whatever cherry and grape tomatoes that manage to set fruit in the heat and humidity. Right now the Yellow Currant is growing exuberantly, as is Sungold. The regular tomatoes that I planted--Tiffany, Matina and Better Boy-- are growing very well with dozens of tomatoes on them. I know they'll peter out when the going gets rough. I also have several Matt's Wild Cherry going, but I got them started much later than the rest because they had such dismal germination rates.
My cukes, chard, strawberries and blueberries are producing nicely. I have a small plot, so the yield every day is no more than a handful of this or that -- but it's a nice supplement to our household's larder.

We've more or less stopped buying veg from the grocer and now deal directly with our local organic growers, Lucky Gardens (aka Pauline's) and Planted Earth Farm.

No comments: