Sunday, December 05, 2010

The Florida garden in December

Cauliflower, turnips, carrots, lettuce...

I planted seedlings of this chard (I think it's Lucullus, but I'd have to check) on October 2 and harvested some yesterday for supper. Pretty good turnaround for this time of the year. I braised the stalks in tomato sauce, and served the leaves steamed and lightly dressed in olive oil and salt. Very tasty. 

Seedlings for "spring" garden. When I harvest my turnips and cauliflower, I'll replace them with these collards, broccoli and cauliflower seedlings... Probably sometime mid-January or early February.
Sweet peas are setting a bunch of peas... just in time for a frost. Sigh. Maybe they'll make it. 
You can tell by the shadows and quality of light that it's December...
Short days, cold nights, and an approaching frost. Still, it's very
green.

No comments: