Friday, November 05, 2010

The Florida Winter Garden

I didn't put in a fall garden this year--no time in July to start tomatoes and peppers for November and December harvests... This summer was so busy, last winter so cold, that I decided it didn't merit the trouble. What's more, it's hard to work up an appetite for tomatoes and eggplants in December: My Midwesterness rebells against it. Winter is for greens, onions, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. All things perfectly suited for my Florida winter garden.

We've had the first major cold front blow through last night, bringing much needed rain and a drop of twenty-degrees or so... I ran the AC a bit yesterday to bring in the cooler outside air into our over-warm kitchen, but I'll probably have to run the heat tomorrow morning. The high mid-week was 90°... the low tonight is forecast for 38°. The front brought about more than an inch of rain, which doesn't erase our debt after a rainless October, but is surely appreciated.

Let's see... The carrots, beets and turnips are all growing well. Broccoli and cauliflower are large, but no heads yet. The cold weather will slow them down and I probably won't get heads until Christmas.

Lettuce is still a week from when I can regularly harvest it. Peas are growing well, but only a foot. Potatoes and onions are up. Oranges are oranging. Roses are loving this cool, dry weather.

No comments: