Saturday, December 23, 2006

More quick notes from the garden...

I planted today...
  • eighteen Broccoli di Rapa (from Pinetree): thirty days
  • nine Delfino Cilantro (Pinetree)
  • nine Agina Cutting Celery (Pinetree): sixty-three days
  • half a window box of Reggae Raddish. Supposedly very resistant to splitting.
We had another deluge last night... about two inches, judging by buckets in my yard. Thank you, Mr. Nino! Yesterday I staked a bunch of my delphiniums, which were gorgeous. Last night's downpour snapped them in half, right where I'd tied them. Sigh.

The Sweet Charlie bare-root strawberries that I planted yesterday have already put out new growth:

Finally, on a non-gardening note: My family and I took an impulse run to Lake Woodruff Wildlife Refuge this evening on the off-chance of spying the pair of Whooping Cranes that have made the area their winter haven. We caught them just as they returned to the area, amongst a large flock of Sandhill Cranes, far off in a remote section of the refuge:

There are, at best, a few dozen of these cranes in Florida, a few hundred in the USA.

No comments: