Sunday, June 21, 2020

Edible parts...

It's buggy, hot, and rainy... hard to grow leaf plants like chard, spinach, lettuce. Which brings us to... what can you eat from all that green stuff growing in your garden... I'll emphatically recommend the new, reddish leaves and tips of sweet potatoes. Batatas are rampant growers and it's easy to gather a few handfuls of leaves a day without really slowing the growth of your sweet potatoes. The leaves are tenderer than spinach with a perfectly nice, slightly nutty flavor. I throw them in soups and larb all the time. I've never tried the leaves of cowpeas, but I plant to, as I have a large batch of volunteers growing in a corner of my yard...


VegetableCommon Edible PartsOther Edible Parts
Beans, snappod with seedsleaves
Beans, limaseedspods, leaves
Beetsrootleaves
Broccoliflowerleaves, flower stem
Carrotrootleaves
Cauliflowerimmature flowerflower stem, leaves
Celeryleaf stemsleaves, seeds
Corn, sweetseedsyoung ears, unfurled tassel, young leaves
Cucumberfruit with seedsstem tips and young leaves
Eggplantfruit with seedsleaves edible but not flavorful
Kohlrabiswollen stemleaves
Okrapods with seedsleaves
Onionsrootyoung leaves
Parsleytopsroots
Peas, Englishseedspods, leaves
Peas, Southernseeds, podsyoung leaves
Pepperpodsleaves after cooking, immature seeds
Potatoes, Sweetrootsleaves and stem shoots
Radishrootsleaves
Squashfruit with seedsseeds, flowers, young leaves
Tomatofruits with seeds----------
Turniproots, leaves----------
Watermelonfruit -- interior pulp and seedsrind of fruit

Note: This article reprinted from Vegetable Production & Marketing News, Dr. Frank J. Dainello, editor, April, 2002

2 comments:

Margie said...

Hello! Thank you for this scheme, it's really helpful. But could you tell me something more about turnip? Since I remember I am using only its roots. I have never used leaves but as.I see also leaves are edible. This year I am growing this kind of turnip: https://gardenseedsmarket.com/turnip-snowball-seeds-brassica-rapa-2500-seeds.html as mine friend recommended it to me. Do you have any ideas how can I use the leaves in my kitchen?

MyEcomapp said...

This is an excellent blog.Thanks for sharing.For Best Online shop for indoor plants in Pakistan Visit Us.