Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rat snake...

I found this snake entangled in a castnet that i keep in a lidded bucket... it had gotten in the bucket somehow, tangled with the net, crawled out of the bucket and under the shed dragging bucket and net with it. i was, to say the least, surprised to find it while cleaning up my fishing equipment. who knows how long it was there? but the snake was alive and ANGRY. it took me the better part of half an hour to slowly and carefully snip it out of the net--the nylon strands had buried themselves in the snake, but not cut its skin that i could tell. the last part, the head, was the hardest. i couldn't use gloves because the operation was too delicate, so i held the head with one hand and the scissors with the other... it lay there for awhile before slithering off into the burn barrel...

4 comments:

David The Good said...

Good job saving him. Lesser gardeners would have dispatched the poor thing.

Anonymous said...

I had to do the same with a black racer snake once! Good to keep them around, although our neighbors hate them. They think all snakes should be killed on sight, no questions asked, even harmless ones.

Unknown said...

I too had this problem with a black racer and my bird netting. I finally gave up on the bird netting.

Cubic Zirconia Apple Green said...

Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .