Saturday, June 18, 2011

my Evergreen Seeds order

I'm in the mood to try something new in my summer garden... I've grown Amaranth, which is really tasty and a breeze. It's been a long time since I've grown Malabar Spinach. And I'm intrigued by the description of the India Spinach Beet, which claims that it's a popular hot-weather crop in India, which shares some of our meteorological conditions, so, it's surely worth a try. Oh, and the squash sounded like fun. I love hybrids. 





  • Edible Amaranth, Tender    41501         1   1.85
  • Malabar Spinach, Green     28001         1   2.10
  • Edible Amaranth, All Red:  58301         1   1.85
  • Calabash, Hybrid Lattoo:   64401         1   2.20
  • Japanese Turnip, Hybrid    54501         1   2.20
  • India Spinach Beet: India  57901         1   1.95
adding... India Spinach Beet

India Spinach Beet is a fast growing vegetable, native to Indian hot and raining summer weather. Leaves are smooth, tender and uniformly green. First cutting can be done in 25 to 30 days after sowing and subsequent cuttings can be harvested in 15-20 days. Instead of the cutting method, some people like to harvest by picking outter leaves for eating, while the plant continues to produce more new inner leaves. This vegetable is strongly resistant to heat and is one of the most popular greens during hot summer in India and Southern Asia.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Love Evergreen! Hope to hear more about that Indian Sugar Beet.

Unknown said...

Ditto on the Indian Sugar Beet! Specifically interested in what heat spells it lives through without bolting or withering, how long into fall it lasts, whether it might grow in a 5-8 gallon container, and of course taste and texture when eaten ^_^

Lena said...

What is the Malabar Spinach like in taste, texture, etc? I love spinach but I have had no luck growing it in my garden. If I could find a variety that likes the heat I'd be just fine!

Michael said...

i'm afraid it's best described as mucilagenous. but, that said, it's real pretty and tasty.

Gandree said...

Are you having any trouble with those little green leaf roller worms? They keep messing up the new growth on our eggplants.