Saturday, March 06, 2010

Busy day in the garden...

Let's see...
  • Planted beans--first week of March is a good time to plant beans, but this year, probably too early. We have a warm week ahead, and it would be great to get them out. I'll try to remember to remark on how long it takes them to germinate. Fortex (first in my garden) and old reliable Rattlesnake
  • It's been so cold I haven't even bothered starting tomatoes. I don't have a greenhouse, and stupid kittens make growing ANYTHING inside impossible... so today I bought three good-sized seedlings (Better Boy and Beefmaster--good tomatoes, if a bit common). THey went into four-gallon white buckets filled with Al's mix.
  • Planted Straight Slick Pic squash (Johnnys), Fast Break cantaloupes, and an Asian watermelon.
  • Planted daturas, marigolds, and zinnias.
  • I keep small sweet potatoes in the shed all winter, and then put them out first thing in March in buckets, under a bit of hay, to get them to produce slips. Then I plant the dinky potatoes later on.
  • Lots of maintenance and potting up of plants.
  • Harvested almost the last of the cauliflower.
  • Bought some Boston pickling cukes from Lowes, potted them up into a larger container... Like the tomatoes, I would have started these earlier, but not this year.
Lot of things breaking dormancy--apple trees, pomegranate. Roses are budding nicely--they look great after a cold and wet winter, which seems to have encouraged a bushier growth and healthy leaves. I'm sure there are other things that I did around the garden today, but I've already forgotten them.

No comments: